LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Green Curry Stir-Fry with Cashews

When life is packed full with various commitments and responsibilities, I don't have the bandwidth to be creative in my cooking and go with the recipes I know and/or the path of least resistance (read: breakfast-for-dinner). However, when I come up for air, even a bit, I try to have some new recipes saved to be able to draw on them and build my repertoire.

Tonight's new recipe did not disappoint. It is moving immediately to the go-to list, not just because it was very tasty but it was also ridiculously easy. Enjoy!

GREEN CURRY STIR-FRY WITH CASHEWS
Serves 4
Thank you once again, Vegetarian Times!

30 minutes or fewer to prepare

Cashews are a classic in stir-fries. Here, they’re sprinkled over a medley of mushrooms and green beans.

INGREDIENTS
 1 Tbs. peanut oil
½ cup thinly sliced onion
1 12-oz. pkg. sliced mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1 lb. green beans, cut into thirds (I made my dish tonight with cauliflower and leeks -- it's what I had on hand)
½ cup golden raisins
2 Tbs. light coconut milk (I will confess I used half 'n half -- I didn't want to open a whole can for 2 tb of coconut milk. I also used a bit of almond milk)
1½ Tbs. green curry paste
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1 Tbs. low-sodium tamari sauce
½ cup roasted salted cashews, coarsely chopped
¼ cup chopped cilantro

INSTRUCTIONS
 1. Prepare rice or quinoa ~ or eat it on its own. I happened to serve this over brown rice and it soaked up the sauce very nicely.

2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms (or leeks and zucchini!), and season with salt, if desired. Cover, and cook 6 minutes, or until mushrooms begin to brown.

2. Uncover pan, stir in garlic and ginger, and sauté 2 minutes. Add green beans (or cauliflower!) and raisins, and stir-fry 3 minutes.

3. Whisk together coconut milk, curry paste, lemon juice, and tamari in small bowl. Add curry mixture to skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 2 minutes, or until sauce has thickened. Garnish with cashews and cilantro.

VT April/May 2014 p.75

No comments:

Post a Comment