LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

What To Do With A LOT of Carrots When One Isn't Especially Excited about Carrots...

My housemate and I restarted the habit of receiving a weekly box of local and seasonal produce a couple of months ago. This was a brilliant decision on her our part, and overall, it has been wonderful to be challenged again to have to figure out how to use everything we receive, even if we would not have chosen it on our own. As I wrote here a couple of years ago, eating seasonally has taught me more about how to receive what God has created for us, rather than stand with my arms crossed, insisting on eating what I want when I want to eat it! Such discipline in the small, daily things like meals has developed my spiritual muscles a bit more in learning how to receive the circumstances I experience on a larger and deeper level.

However... when one receives 3 large bunches of carrots in the space of two weeks (and should I mention I hate raw or cooked carrots with a violent passion?) it can be a teensy-weensy more than demanding to stick with my nice little idealistic plan about eating seasonally. I pondered making a "love offering" to B.U.N.S. (Bunnies Urgently Needing Shelter, I kid you not) and then realized I was being ridiculous.

So I decided to buckle down and figure out what to do with all those sturdy carrots in my crisper, and thankfully, came upon an old recipe from Bon Appetit. I made this tonight and not only does it not taste like carrots (at all?) but it also makes your home smell wonderful! It would be good hot or cold.

INDIAN-SPICED CARROT SOUP WITH GINGER
6-8 servings

INGREDIENTS

1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
3 tablespoons peanut oil
1/2 teaspoon curry powder (preferably Madras)
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
2 cups chopped onions
1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled, thinly sliced into rounds (about 4 cups)
1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lime peel
5 cups (or more) low-salt chicken broth or vegetable broth
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
Plain yogurt (for garnish)

PREPARATION

Grind coriander and mustard seeds in spice mill or mortar and pestle to fine powder. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add ground seeds and curry powder; stir 1 minute. Add ginger; stir 1 minute. Add next 3 ingredients. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; sauté until onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add 5 cups broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered until carrots are tender, about 30 minutes. Cool slightly. Working in batches, puree in blender until smooth. Return soup to pot. Add more broth by 1/4 cupfuls if too thick. Stir in lime juice; season with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm before serving.

Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with yogurt and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment